Today was my dad's 2nd year Death Anniversary according to the Lunar Calendar at that time - 25th October 04. But I could only remember the standard calendar date - 6th December 04.
Went to offer our prayers to him with my mum at the Bright Hill Temple yesterday morning. As usual, we did not know the standard procedures for the placement of the food and the "foreign currencies" since we're not really into those religious stuff, but there was this one and only staff who was always there to offer his help. Well, he taught me the way, but most prob I will forget the next time I visit again - he had taught me before and well, it got filtered out somehow (small brains cant store too much memory lah).
Sumtimes I wonder... had my dad got reincarnated? Cos if he did, who are we actually offering the stuff to? I mean, alot of people are still offering their prayers to their late loved ones or even ancesters who had passed on for so long, and don't they want the souls to move on with their after-life? According to the religious studies, it was mentioned that those who had done good in their current life would get to reborn to another life after their death, and it was supposed to be a good thing - better than roaming around aimlessly.
So, isn't it an irony that on one hand we want the souls to get reincarnated but on the other hand, we're still praying to them? But come to think of it, it also contributes to the economy since there's this demand and supply thing for the prayer items in the market... and it is going to last as long as people believe that the "recipients" are there to receive the offerings.
No comments:
Post a Comment