Let me share a funny experience of service recovery I encountered today...
Shirlene and me had gone to a Japanese Restaurant for our late lunch cos her friend told her that the food was nice. Both of us then ordered our food with the waitress when she came to our table. I had ordered a set meal with some kind of noodle in thick curry sauce, and Shirlene had specified on my behalf to have the noodle type as soba (thinner in width) instead of udon (thicker). While repeating our orders, the waitress had stated udon instead of soba, so Shirlene corrected her, which she acknowledged.
After waiting for 10-15 minutes, my set meal finally appeared. Before I took a closer look at the huge bowl of noodles, the waitress realised that the noodle was udon and immediately remove the bowl and apologised. So I waited...
A short while later, a waiter appeared with the bowl in his hands and explained to me that the noodle type was wrong and I could request for a change if I wished to, but actually the taste of the udon will go very well with the curry sauce compared to soba. Without raising my head to look at him, I said "Ok, nevermind" monotonously without any facial expression. I was actually looking at the table and listening to his explanation. The waiter then left and I started to eat the udon. The taste was not bad although I was disappointed with the mistake.
In less than 5 minutes, the same waiter appeared again and said that he had checked with the chef and he could help me change the whole bowl of noodle. Once again, I used the same tone and body language, and said "Nevermind, it's ok". I continued with my food...and he left. Well for your info, I'm an easy-going person so normally I dun flare up with stuff.
I dunno if my silence and expressionless reaction was too weird for them to handle or what... that the waiter came over the 3rd time and asked if I wanted to have any soft drink for free. Finally I took a look at him and said "No thanks", and I returned my attention to the food. Shirlene told me that the waiter had smiled awkwardly at her after that.
Both of us thought that the issue was over since we managed to finish our food in peace. But then it was the waitress' turn now. She had apologised to me whenever she appeared to clear our crockery and refill our ice water... and I told her it's ok with a smile. I mean it's so funny to receive such treatment when I didn't even make a big fuss out of the issue like some customers would. When we asked for the bill, I was surprised with the amount... cos there was a 50% discount on the set meal that I had ordered. Realising that I had noticed the discount, the waitress told me that it was for the mistake earlier. I then paid a round figure and waited for my change as the waitress left. Shirlene and I were so amused by their service recovery and finally when I thought I can get my change and leave, there were 2 pieces of S$2 meal voucher for our next visit enclosed with my change in the black rectangular folder (dunno what's that called).

Well, both of us can't wait to get out of the place cos it's really too much for us. After the incident, we wonder how they would react if I were to reject the discount or left the meal vouchers behind. Would they come chasing after us and asked us why? Hahaha... anyway I felt it was something worth sharing cos I had learnt the following:
Shirlene and me had gone to a Japanese Restaurant for our late lunch cos her friend told her that the food was nice. Both of us then ordered our food with the waitress when she came to our table. I had ordered a set meal with some kind of noodle in thick curry sauce, and Shirlene had specified on my behalf to have the noodle type as soba (thinner in width) instead of udon (thicker). While repeating our orders, the waitress had stated udon instead of soba, so Shirlene corrected her, which she acknowledged.
After waiting for 10-15 minutes, my set meal finally appeared. Before I took a closer look at the huge bowl of noodles, the waitress realised that the noodle was udon and immediately remove the bowl and apologised. So I waited...
A short while later, a waiter appeared with the bowl in his hands and explained to me that the noodle type was wrong and I could request for a change if I wished to, but actually the taste of the udon will go very well with the curry sauce compared to soba. Without raising my head to look at him, I said "Ok, nevermind" monotonously without any facial expression. I was actually looking at the table and listening to his explanation. The waiter then left and I started to eat the udon. The taste was not bad although I was disappointed with the mistake.
In less than 5 minutes, the same waiter appeared again and said that he had checked with the chef and he could help me change the whole bowl of noodle. Once again, I used the same tone and body language, and said "Nevermind, it's ok". I continued with my food...and he left. Well for your info, I'm an easy-going person so normally I dun flare up with stuff.
I dunno if my silence and expressionless reaction was too weird for them to handle or what... that the waiter came over the 3rd time and asked if I wanted to have any soft drink for free. Finally I took a look at him and said "No thanks", and I returned my attention to the food. Shirlene told me that the waiter had smiled awkwardly at her after that.
Both of us thought that the issue was over since we managed to finish our food in peace. But then it was the waitress' turn now. She had apologised to me whenever she appeared to clear our crockery and refill our ice water... and I told her it's ok with a smile. I mean it's so funny to receive such treatment when I didn't even make a big fuss out of the issue like some customers would. When we asked for the bill, I was surprised with the amount... cos there was a 50% discount on the set meal that I had ordered. Realising that I had noticed the discount, the waitress told me that it was for the mistake earlier. I then paid a round figure and waited for my change as the waitress left. Shirlene and I were so amused by their service recovery and finally when I thought I can get my change and leave, there were 2 pieces of S$2 meal voucher for our next visit enclosed with my change in the black rectangular folder (dunno what's that called).
Well, both of us can't wait to get out of the place cos it's really too much for us. After the incident, we wonder how they would react if I were to reject the discount or left the meal vouchers behind. Would they come chasing after us and asked us why? Hahaha... anyway I felt it was something worth sharing cos I had learnt the following:
- When I dun smile, I looked scary to some people (validated by Shirlene)
- You dun have to make a big fuss to show your unhappiness (Silence is Golden)
- Some service providers are really sincere in apologising (so we must appreciate)
No comments:
Post a Comment